Neubauer poses before Ocean Lakes prom with Pearse Swail in June 2013.

Alumnus leaves a legacy of kindness and beauty

April 3, 2017

On Friday, March 31, Paige Marie Neubauer passed away after driving over the median on I-81 and getting hit by a car, not protected by a seat belt because it malfunctioned.

Neubauer, 21, did not graduate from Ocean Lakes but spent her first two years of high school as a dolphin and attended Kellam High School her junior year.

“Paige was an incredibly amazing person,” said Joey Peisher, a friend and member of the OLTC with Neubauer. “She was so brilliant and compassionate about everything she did.”

With her dad being a dentist in the Navy, Neubauer moved to El Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain, where she finished her primary education at David G. Farragut High School in 2014 before moving back to Virginia and attending Virginia Tech the past 3 years, planning to major in communications.

Lynn Neubauer
Neubauer posing in Spain as she holds her “favorite flower.”

“My girl was an amazing writer,” said Lynn Neubauer, Paige’s mother. “But she never shared, because she didn’t believe in herself.”

Before moving to Spain, Neubauer was a dedicated member of the Courthouse Community United Methodist Church, or CCUMC, youth group where she touched many lives.

“Paige made a lasting impression on everyone she met or who knew her,” said Megan Auer, Kellam alumnus of 2014 and previous member of the Methodist youth group. “She could make anyone smile, feel loved, or like they were someone special. She was always there for me when I had unspoken prayer request or to send me a message of encouragement right in the moment I needed it.”

At Virginia Tech, she became a member of the Delta Gama sorority and worked at the Hokie Grill, where she was known as “Paige from Hokie Grill” and was admired by many people who met her there.

Provided by Melissa Julianna
Paige sits with her sorority sister, Melissa Julianna, advertising a Delta Gama cashola at Chipotle on Monday, February 27.

“Paige was one of the most genuine people I’ve ever met in my entire life,” said Caroline Cogan, Delta Gama’s chapter president, in an interview with The Roanoke Times. “I don’t have any memories of when she didn’t have a smile on her face. Our sorority’s motto is ‘do good,’ and she lived by that motto.”

On the “Virginia Tech Crushes” Facebook page, students anonymously admit who they like, and Paige was frequently mentioned.

“Paige has been mentioned on there probably more than anybody else,” Cogan said. “Because she just had the biggest smile and was so bubbly.”

Following the accident, friends and family flooded social media with posts about her genuine kindness, love, and unmatched sense of humanity.

“How you saw the world and the people in it was so refreshing and was a breath of fresh air to everyone around you,” said Katie Woelfel, a member of Delta Gama, in a Facebook post addressed to Neubauer. “You touched so many lives with your unwavering kindness and generosity.”

Paige was a light that brought happiness to everyone who met her, and her light could not be dimmed by any circumstance.

“I have only ever known one person with such fundamental understanding of love. Love, which encompasses everything of value, is difficult for me to understand,” said Pearse Swail, alumnus of 2013. “Humanity, ironically, gets in the way. Which leads me to the only possible conclusion. She was an angel. Literally. An angel. You can’t possibly understand if you didn’t know her.”

Lynn Neubauer
Neubauer in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, for a family vacation.

A “service of Death and Resurrection” will be held at Courthouse Community United Methodist Church on Saturday, April 8, at 1:00 p.m.

“This is a celebration of life,” said Lynn Neubauer.

Read more about the accident at http://pilotonline.com/news/local/year-old-virginia-beach-woman-dies-in–vehicle-crash/article_08bcc3ec-7daa-5586-b690-06911295903a.html

View Comments (5)

The Current • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• T

Teresa GreeneApr 4, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Paige worked with me 5 days a week at Owens for at least two years and I just fell in love with her. She was amazing and she lit up our whole world. My husband got to meet her when she came to our church and he was just taken by her warm smile and gentle nature. She will always hold a special place in my heart. I am sure when my time on Earth is done, I will see her again. God bless and keep her family during this time and thank you for raising such a wonderful daughter.

Reply
  • S

Sondra SantanaApr 4, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Thoughts and prayers for the Neubauer family. Your Navy Medicine and Big E family is standing to support during this difficult time.

Reply
  • M

MelindaApr 4, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Paige I still can’t believe u are gone .my heart only cries everyday .elementary school was a blast together rest in piece now the world need more people like u u have touched alot of people including me

Reply
  • P

Pastor Terry BullardApr 4, 2017 at 2:00 pm

I know you are standing by Jesus right now. You are such a child of God. May you R.I.P. God Bless

Reply
  • G

Gary GustafsonApr 3, 2017 at 7:35 pm

A very sweet, young girl. The world is darker place without her in it. RIP, Paige.

Reply
5