Graduation entails many obligations

The Class of 2017 will graduate on June 17. Before the day arrives, seniors are expected to fulfill their final duties and obligations as high school students.

Seniors receiving scholarship money to attend college or join the military will be recognized at the scholarship Awards Assembly on June 9 in the gym. Only seniors who are present at the Awards Assembly will be allowed to attend the senior class picnic immediately following the ceremony.

Both graduation practices will be held on June 12. Prior to the first practice, seniors must pay all outstanding financial dues to Lori Tignor in the main office.

Graduation practices are mandatory for seniors who wish to walk at graduation.

The first graduation practice will begin promptly at 10:30 a.m. in the auditorium, immediately following second block. In order to be in the senior class picture that will be taken at the beginning of practice, seniors must not be late to this meeting. Jostens will be available following the practice for Honors Stole and tassel sales.

Also following the practice, Student Activities Coordinator John Williams will be distributing additional graduation tickets. He will begin by distributing to students who only need one extra ticket, and continue until all tickets have been distributed. If any tickets remain, the procedure will be repeated after the second graduation practice and will conclude once all 4,700 tickets have been distributed. Graduating seniors do not need a ticket for admission, but anyone else attending the ceremony does. Attendees are encouraged to not bring small children to the ceremony.

The second graduation practice will also be held on June 12 at the Virginia Beach Convention Center at 4:00 p.m. Students participating must arrive no later than 3:45 p.m., as there is a short amount of time allotted for the practice. At this practice, students will be assigned a faculty marshal in which they should report to on the day of graduation.

Graduating students are expected to dress their “Sunday best” for the ceremony. Women are expected to wear dresses, skirts, or dress slacks with an appropriate top. Men must wear suit pants or dress slacks with a dress shirt and tie.

Pictures will be taken of students as they receive their diplomas by Lifetouch National School Studios. Complimentary proofs will be emailed to graduates, and they may purchase their photos if they choose to do so. Attendees are welcome to take their own photos and videos during the service, but may not leave their seats to do so.

No handbags, purses, or cell phones may be brought in by graduating students. Anyone else attending the ceremony is encouraged to bring as little as possible with them, as a security check will be conducted for all attendees. Gift boxes, camera bags, large objects, containers, noisemakers, balloons, and signs are all prohibited at the ceremony.

Graduation will take place at the Virginia Beach Convention Center on June 17. The ceremony begins at 9:00 a.m., but seniors must arrive no later than 8:00 a.m. Students should immediately report to their faculty marshal, and await further instruction. At the conclusion of the ceremony, students will be reunited with their family members to celebrate their accomplishments.

Students who meet graduation requirements but do not attend the ceremony may pick up their earned diploma in the Guidance office between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. after Monday, June 19.

Congratulations to all graduating seniors, and good luck in your future endeavors.