Clubs give back during the holiday season

American+Sign+Language+Club+members+%5Bleft+to+right%5D+Ana+Martinez-Xacur%2C+Josephine+Bradley%2C+and+Karines+Velasquez%2C+as+well+as+club+sponsor+Jenny+Bradley%2C+create+Christmas+cards+to+send+to+a+local+homeless+shelter+at+their+meeting+on+November+30.+

Sam White

American Sign Language Club members [left to right] Ana Martinez-Xacur, Josephine Bradley, and Karines Velasquez, as well as club sponsor Jenny Bradley, create Christmas cards to send to a local homeless shelter at their meeting on November 30.

Clubs and organizations throughout the school have made an effort to give back during the holidays.
The boys’ soccer team, in partnership with the Student Cooperative Association (SCA), held Battle of the Cans in November and collected over 2,000 cans for donation to the Southeastern Food Bank.
In addition to Battle of the Cans, the SCA held their annual Angel Tree Project.
“Angel Tree greatly benefits our community, as staff members pick up tags for each local child on our list and buy Christmas presents for the child they’ve gotten,” said senior and SCA President Nick Gallo.
Many students and teachers chose to donate to the Angel Tree Project, as they see the value in giving back.
“The children that we donate to receive little, if any, gifts for Christmas,” said astronomy teacher Michelle Bailey-Hennessey. “I want them to be able to believe in the spirit of Christmas.”
Another club hard at work this holiday season is the National Honor Society. The community service committee within the organization creates a holiday service project each year in which members donate to a cause.
“As part of our winter service project, we are making dog toys to send to the local SPCA for them to have,” said senior and community service co-chairwoman Cady Thomas.
The National Honor Society also encouraged members to volunteer at Three Oaks Elementary School’s Snowflake Saturday event on December 9 and Birdneck Elementary School’s Parents’ Night Out on December 16.
“The Birdneck Elementary Parents’ Night Out is held to give parents of Birdneck students a chance to buy Christmas gifts for their children while the children aren’t with them,” said senior and volunteer Sam White.
The Noble Teens Club is collecting monetary donations from club members for a local family in need, and have also made blankets to donate to children at Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters (CHKD).
“We decided to do these projects because the holidays are all about giving to others, and a lot of people want to participate,” said senior and Noble Teens historian Taylor Ouzts.
The American Sign Language (ASL) Club made Christmas cards to give to a local homeless shelter.
Many students and staff members feel that it is important to give back during the holidays to those in our area who are less fortunate.
“My family is fortunate enough to have what we do, so I want to help other people who don’t,” said Bailey-Hennessey.