Students exhibit artwork in Hampton Roads Student Gallery

Lindsay Roberts

Virtual Gallery exhibition on March 1, 2022 featured junior honoree Nicole Boardman’s artwork Zoom.

This year, three juniors from Ocean Lakes have been given the opportunity to exhibit their artwork in lead museums and institutions across the Hampton Roads region organized by a community partnership with the Hampton Roads Student Gallery. 

This project involves a panel of art professionals who come together to form unbiased juries to review student artwork, these professionals partake in the selection of six student finalists and 20 honorees to feature in the student gallery.

Similar to the theme for this gallery, students are not limited in terms of creativity and mediums.

“For my piece created digitally, I received inspiration from my own personal experience during quarantine, where I wasn’t able to come into contact with any of my family members or friends; The only time I was able to really communicate with them was mostly through a screen, “ said junior Nicole Boardman.

Nicole, as well as junior Sierra Clark were selected as honorees for the gallery, who will have their work displayed at the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) from Feb. 17-27.

Junior Kendal Whitaker was chosen as one of the six finalists who will have their artwork displayed at the student finalist exhibit in the Chrysler Museum from Feb. 15 to April 4.

Additional information about the virtual exhibition can be found on the Hampton Roads Student Gallery website.

“Congratulations to our OL Hampton Roads Student Gallery Winner and Honorees, these talented students will have their work on display at the Chrysler Museum of Art and The MOCA,” said art teacher Lindsay Roberts.