Cross country coach wins Male Coach of the Year

Nestor and his athletes walk up to the start line for regionals ready to begin their race on Nov. 4, 2023, at Bells Mills Park. The girls won first place in the region. Photo used with permission of Mary Ann Magnant.

Retired English teacher Michael Nestor won the 2024 VHSL Male Coach of the Year award.

“It was an honor to win the award because I know the hours Ocean Lakes coaches put in,” said Nestor. “There are several people who are just as worthy.” 

Nestor received this award on May 1, 2024. He was head-to-head with all other Ocean Lakes male coaches. 

Any coach can be nominated for this award; the nominees’ names will be put into a Google Form, and then the rest of the staff will vote. 

“I received this award because the girls cross country team was relentless in their pursuit of winning the state title, and I was proud,” said Nestor. 

According to Nestor, wrestling coach Christopher Barnhart inspires him the most because of the long hours he puts in and the standards he sets.

“Nestor is a huge inspiration to me; he is extremely driven and I’m blessed to have him as a friend,” said Barnhart. “I’m very proud of him; he is a wonderful source of many things.” 

Barnhart and Nestor talk on a daily basis about life, sports and coaching. 

“We sent both the female and male coach of the year to the Virginia Beach Sports Club Jamboree on May 29, 2024,” said student activities coordinator Eric Blackmore. 

Nestor has a genuine passion for the sport and would do anything for his athletes, according to junior Lindsay Meadows. 

“Coach Nestor deserved this award,” said Lindsay. “He understands how to have good communication skills [and] empathy, fosters a positive team culture and understands how to inspire and motivate his athletes.”