Back to Article
Back to Article

Humans of OL: Julia Smith

Senior Julia Smith takes picture in Virginia Tech shirt after committing. Photo on Sept. 30, 2018

Marjorie Smith

Marjorie Smith

Marjorie Smith

Humans of OL: Julia Smith

“I started swimming at Princess Anne Recreation center and eventually joined their swim team in third grade. I joined Tide Swimming in fourth and fifth grade, but at that time, was more into soccer. So, after fifth grade, I stopped swimming and decided to try other sports. After getting two concussions in eighth grade, I was told I wasn’t allowed to play contact sports. I tried running cross country and ended up dislocating my knee, which was unrelated to running. In ninth grade, I joined the high school team. I started with water aerobics because of my knee and then moved to full swimming. After the high school season ended, I realized how much I enjoyed swimming and rejoined Tide. My senior year, I got ninth in the state in the 100 freestyle and tenth in 100 breast. I also qualified for Speedo Winter Junior Nationals.”

Julia will continue her swimming and academic career at Virginia Tech.

The Current • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in