Student performance directly correlates with breakfast

Akina Whalen

Students line up to receive breakfast. Photo taken on Dec. 18, 2019.

‘Brekkie,’ ‘brunch,’ or the basic ‘breakfast’ is widely regarded as the most important meal of the day. For students, this proves true as research shows higher academic performance and scores correspond with ample morning meals. 

In a Journal of Economics study, students who consumed school-provided breakfasts scored about 25 percent higher on several subjects, including math and science.

“I eat breakfast because I like to not be hungry,” said sophomore Tim Doughty. “If I don’t eat, I get hungry and distracted from my schoolwork.”

Skipping the first meal denies the brain essential nutrients to function and succeed, such as iron and fatty acids. Without proper calories or vitamins, students are affected by lethargy and a lack of motivation.

“I don’t eat breakfast because I just don’t have a lot of time,” said junior Amanda Wilder. “I do think eating breakfast improves your scores and makes you less tired.”

In UK’s Leed University survey, adolescents who were without a meal before 10 am often scored an average of 10.25 points lower in GCSE scores. Comparatively, students who more frequently consumed breakfast scored higher.  Due to the replenishment of glucose and balancing metabolism, cognitive speed and concentration are improved with a balanced meal.

However, breakfast should not be just consuming any food. The meal should be ‘colorful,’ including fruits and other protein-packed nutrients. 

“Before big tests, I always make sure to eat a good breakfast,” said Amanda. “It gives me more energy in the day to be able to focus and do well.”