Student’s split opinions on virtual school

To be virtual or not to be virtual. This is the question.

Many students dislike virtual school and wish to go back to school in-person despite social distancing requirements, while others enjoy virtual school and dread wearing masks and waking up at the crack of dawn.

“It’s kinda 50-50 for me because I don’t like having to get up every morning and get out of bed and sit in class bored all day, but I do like the fact that I can really know what I’m doing in class,” said freshman Jy’kaya Wilson.

Face-to-face precautions include frequent hand sanitization, restricted lunchroom seating, and a six-foot distance between students. In PE, students are also only allowed to use one piece of equipment.

“The only thing that I would change is not being able to sit with your friends at lunch because I don’t think it’s that big of a deal since we’re already socially distanced, with two people to a table,” said freshman Olivia Box.

As a result of the ever-changing school system mandates, students and teachers adjust to the rules at different rates.

“I think some [students] are adjusting kinda fast. and some are adjusting slow. I’m adjusting slowly because the whole environment is new to me because I’m not from here,” said Jy’kaya.

While the governor and VBCPS aim to help protect students through the pandemic, they cannot help the virtual students in the same way as those who can return to school.

“I was really excited too because, for the first time since March, I actually saw students and teachers in a classroom,” said freshman Reyhan Akkale, who returned to school for the first time on Nov. 3. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nc_g8lQFCJb3WHkBO8BZeWNx7MXmMn-0/view?usp=sharing