Winter sports secure a spot in VBCPS

Jennifer Ramey

Senior Kara Lee performs a skill on the balance beam while maintaining social distance from other teammates on Jan. 19.

Varsity winter sports season will be held in accordance with health protocols published by the VHSL.  VBCPS is one of the only school systems in Hampton Roads that condoned a winter sports season. 

Before coaches and athletes can enter practice sessions, they must get a temperature check. Coaches and staff wear masks at all times, and student-athletes wear masks while not physically practicing. Team sizes are limited, spectators are prohibited, and everyone must social distance.

“In gymnastics, the girls have their own chalk in a bag, so there is not a shared chalk box anymore, and they should be using hand sanitizer when changing events. The gym and equipment are cleaned by coaches and our amazing custodial staff,” said gymnastics coach Jennifer Ramey.

Recently, the VBCPS School Board decided to allow students to play for school teams as well as club teams. In order to ensure the safety of students, all club teams should have submitted their plans to keep the athletes safe no later than Jan. 14. 

“I think it would be in people’s best interest to do [school sports] or [club sports] to limit the amount of people you are with,” said sophomore Nate Bushey.  

Spectators will not be allowed at games, however; spectators can watch competitions through the internet via live stream. NFHS Network is an online website where students, staff, parents, and community members can watch all high school sports games held in school gymnasiums.

“I am looking forward to the student-athletes and coaches getting back to a little sense of normalcy. We all want to be back at school and do what we love; this is our first step back,” said Ramey. 

Health mitigations can be found in the 2020-2021 Guidelines for Return to Participation posted online.