Sophomore makes big splash on diving team

Sydney Soto poses with her medal and certificate after competing in the AAU Diving National Championship.

Sophomore Sydney Soto won the VHSL Region 6A championships for diving in her second consecutive year on Feb. 5.  She walked away with first place in the one-meter diving regional championships with a score of 421.3 and placed eighth in the state competition.

Last year, Sydney also won the VHSL Beach District championship.

“I am super proud of her accomplishments so far. Winning regionals as a sophomore is outstanding. Then she placed eighth in state. I can’t wait to see what she does in the next two years,” said diving co-coach Laura Eldredge.

Sydney has been diving for seven years and joined the diving team her freshman year.

“I watched Sydney improve so much from last year. She also encourages other divers, some from Ocean Lakes, and others not on her team. That is true sportsmanship,” said diving co-coach Katie Lorenz.

Outside of the school team, Sydney dives for K2 Diving on the Gold Team and qualified for nationals in the one-meter and three-meter competitions.

“I am so proud of Sydney. She doesn’t let the pressure get to her, and her focus during meets is very impressive,” said Lorenz.