Homecoming week travels to an end

Seniors+Reese+Thornton+and+Alan+Ledezma+were+crowned+homecoming+king+and+queen+and+take+the+field+for+pictures.+

Fara Wiles

Seniors Reese Thornton and Alan Ledezma were crowned homecoming king and queen and take the field for pictures.

Celebrated this spring, homecoming week, despite COVID-19 restrictions, was a success. Students “traveled” through the homecoming activities safely.

“Friday, we finished spirit week with ‘I Love OL’ day, our virtual assembly, homecoming soccer game, and the announcement of homecoming court and hallway decoration winners,” said SCA president Reese Thornton.

On Friday, May 7, Seniors Alan Ledezma and Reese Thorton were announced as homecoming king and queen at the games where the girls soccer team won 2-0 and the boys lost 0-1. The class of 2023 was revealed as the winners of the hallway decorating contest. 

“On Saturday, we had our actual homecoming event with a parking lot decorating contest followed by a drive-in movie,” said Reese.

Students brought their own chalk to decorate a parking space, and afterward, watched High School Musical 3 in the student parking lot. Seniors Tyler Crew and Lindsay McSweeney were chosen as the winners of the chalk decorating contest.

Typically, homecoming is in the fall, with a homecoming football game and dance. However, due to complications from COVID-19, homecoming events were rescheduled and modified for students’ safety.

“Having pride and a sense of belonging is very important in high school. Traditions and events help inspire school pride and that carries throughout life,” said SCA adviser Wendy Tate.