Virtual all-school assemblies become a norm for this year’s advisory

Ryan Goodroe

Award-winning Marching Band and Color Guard perform for the second virtual assembly on Oct. 22. Photo was taken through a window as students were not allowed to attend the events filmed outside.

The first virtual assemblies of the year provide a look at what dolphin spirit and a homecoming assembly look like during the pandemic.

Students and teachers could not decide which part of the virtual assemblies were a favorite.

“It’s impossible to have a favorite. I loved getting to see interviews with team captains and players and see teams and groups in action at practice, etc. That’s a behind-the-scenes look we typically don’t get, so I enjoyed getting to see another aspect of team/club life that outsiders aren’t usually able to see,” said English teacher Jessica Scheible.

The first virtual assembly was separated into three parts and included many interviews with both students and staff and different segments that featured the girls and boys volleyball team, the field hockey team, band, cheer, etc.

“It was a new experience to be a part of an assembly,” said sophomore Joshua Han, who was interviewed in the first virtual assembly.

These virtual assemblies aim to showcase school activities, so students can see what might interest them.

“I enjoyed getting to see what the different sports teams are up to; we actually got more of an in-depth look at what they’re doing than we would have been able to during a regular assembly,” said Scheible.

The second virtual assembly, which was live-streamed, included the chorus singing the National Anthem, a speech from Dr. LeBlanc, a marching band and color guard performance, a hula hoop contest (where teachers got pied), homecoming court, and a relay race.

The homecoming virtual assembly was held on Oct. 22, the last day of this year’s spirit week.

“We were hoping that this could be an outdoor assembly, but it was not approved,” said SCA sponsor Wendy Tate.

According to Tate, if the SCA proposes an in-person assembly, it has to be approved, but if it does not get approved, it becomes a virtual assembly.

“I can’t help wishing that we will be able to get back to in-person assemblies again. Current students who have never experienced an in-person all-school assembly are missing out on something that is a big part of who we are as the Ocean Lakes community, and I can’t wait until we are able to bring those back,” said Scheible.