Local gyms provide fitness to high schoolers

mason C

Virginia Beach Onelife Fitness Center remains packed on afternoons. Picture taken Dec. 1.

Local gyms provide fitness for nearby high schoolers. Onelife Fitness, and the Princess Anne Recreation Center are two of the most popular gyms used by high schoolers in the area since they are both close to where the majority of high school students live.

For starters, the lowest cost of a monthly gym membership that Onelife offers is $30 or around $360 annually compared to the $25 monthly and $40 and $110 youth and adult annual memberships at the Rec. Center. 

“My favorite thing is the amount of equipment Onelife has because I almost never have to wait around for something to open,” said sophomore Jack Smigel.

Onelife offers a wide variety of machines that includes free weights, machines, and cardio equipment. The Rec Center has many of the same machines Onelife has but not as many.

“I wish the Rec would change the size of the weight room; it is perfect if there are 10-15 people, but when it gets up to 20, it starts getting crowded,” said freshman Jayden Hooten.

The Recreation Center contains table games, like ping pong and pool. The Rec Center also has several basketball hoops and a multi-lane pool with a diving board whereas Onelife only has two basketball hoops and a three-lane pool.

“My favorite thing about the Rec. Center is that you can do a lot more than just work out there,” said Jayden.

Onelife is open from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The Rec. Center is open from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.

“I wish they would stay open later on the weekends because I have stuff going on during the day, and sometimes I don’t get the chance to go to the gym until later,” said Jack.