2022 Governor’s Foreign Language Academy holds program applications

Applications for the 2022 Governor’s Foreign Language Academies are out, a Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) sponsored summer residential programs for Virginia’s motivated and talented world language students.

“It is a complete immersion experience for foreign language students. Starting from when you wake up, to the time you go to bed, you’ll get to experience a day full of culture,” said Eric Jaworski, foreign language teacher.

Students must meet several requirements. These requirements include being either a sophomore or junior, completion of at least three levels of a foreign language, good proficiency of the language, as well as the willingness to use the language for all social and academic interactions in the academies.

“After the application process, two students from each language will be nominated to participate in the summer residential programs, “ said Jaworski.

To apply, students must register on the Survey Monkey Apply Platform, complete the eligibility quiz, send requests for recommendations and transcripts, request nomination, submit completed online applications, and take a language test. These resources can be found on the Governor’s Foreign Language Programs Applications website.

“The application process of reading, writing, speaking, and listening was worth it. It gave me a guide of what I should know, and preparing for it helped me to grow in my language comprehension,” said sophomore Isabella Martinez.

Applications are due no later than Jan. 31, 2022. Programs will be held in-person, the French, German, and Spanish academies will be held June 18‐July 9, 2022 at Washington and Lee University. The Japanese and Latin academies will be taking place June 19-July 10, 2022 at Randolph Macon College.

“I would recommend applying to others because even though it was a difficult application process, the whole experience was educational. It let me know what I should expect for similar things in the future,” said Isabella.