Bayliss hails from Britain

Lilianna Morales

One of the newest members of the math department, Jack Bayliss, leads a lesson on Geometry in February, 2022.

On his first day in the classroom, one of the first equations Jack Bayliss taught his American students was football equals soccer, and American football equals American football. The teacher, who hailed from Britain, had to clarify since Americans know football as “touchdown!” and not “goal!”

Bayliss taught math for five years in England, and it’s what helped him gain a unique perspective to teach math. He shows his students new tools on how to solve problems.

“[His Geometry] feels more advanced, but you understand it better. He knows different methods. Like ratios, he was teaching us some method from Singapore,” said freshman Tashina Shaw.

Bayliss taught around 150 students in England where grades 6-12 attended school in the same building.

“The equivalent of grades six to twelve in one school as opposed to being split into middle and high, so you have students at different stages of their life in one space,” said Bayliss. 

Jack believes that structure and variation in tasks are important. His structure includes a “do now task” at the beginning of class to engage students and to make them feel successful. He wants to give every student the opportunity to challenge themselves. 

According to his colleagues, Bayliss makes the math department stronger. 

“I think Mr. Bayliss is already a wonderful contributor to OL’s math department. He brings new ideas to each meeting. I enjoy learning more about his teaching style as we talk during planning time. Mr. Bayliss and I teach the same subject, so we often work together to come up with engaging lessons for the students,” said fellow math teacher, Miranda Blaser.

Bayliss’s favorite thing about teaching is having the ability to share his passion with his students. He believes that he can bring different experiences for different ways that things are taught. He wants to help students spot different connections in math that could benefit them in the future. 

“I think that I do my best to make students love math as much as I do. I know for some kids that’s a lot more difficult, but if I can make any difference to those, to make them even like it a little bit more, then I’ll feel successful,” said Bayliss.

He moved to the United States to be with his wife and 13-month old daughter, and according to the math department chair Lisa Anderson, Ocean Lakes could not wait for him to join the staff.

“With the nation-wide shortage of math teachers, we knew the task of finding a new hire would be daunting.  It was our great fortune to find Jack Bayliss,” said Anderson. “He brings a wealth of experience and has a true knack for making geometry relevant and meaningful for his students…he’s a rockstar!”