CREW shows up for Black History Month, decorates doors

Students+from+Sarah+Burfords+3A+CREW+decorate+room+143s+door+to+honor+African+American+authors.+

Sarah Burford

Students from Sarah Burford’s 3A CREW decorate room 143’s door to honor African American authors.

Black History Month is celebrated to recognize, appreciate and reflect all of the contributions African Americans have made to this country and their continued struggle for racial justice. 

“It reminds everyone about the fight blacks had to put up with just to survive in the world that shouldn’t be judged by color. It also reminds us about the legends who stood up for us,” said sophomore Devyn Decuir. 

According to ThoughtCo, this event was initially introduced as a week long celebration created by Dr. Carter G. Woodson. Woodson wanted people to be proud of their heritage and to educate people about African Americans’ contributions to society. President Ford issued the first message on the observance of Black History Month, then President Carter and Reagan followed. Finally in 1986, Congress created a national Black History Month by law. 

“There are events and people beyond the traditional knowledge (Booker T Washington, Harriet Tubman, and Frederick Douglas) that have made great strides in American History. It’s important to hear the truth about the life of the POC from the middle passage to today. How POC basically built this country and were the farmers who helped not only produce many of the chief products but brought the seeds and knowledge with them from Africa. This is where the corrections and the addition of the AA history classes are becoming instrumental and necessary. We need to hear and know the truth. Take off the rose-colored glasses and actually see what went on, so we don’t repeat it,” said African American history teacher, Cosette Livas. 

Other teachers also wanted to celebrate those who have paved the way for others.

According to English teacher Sarah Burford, tenth grade CREW teachers needed activities to do for BHM, so Elisabeth Boys came up with the idea to do a BHM door: an English-themed, one math-themed, and one science-themed. 

¨To keep an English-related theme and show appreciation for BHM, our door shows all kinds of black authors,¨ said sophomore Sierra Martinez.