Harry Potter parody hopes to charm audience on stage

Cast+members+and+crew+meet+together+to+plan+for+the+upcoming+production+on+Tuesday%2C+Oct.+4%2C+2022+at+Ocean+Lakes.+

Angelina Rifenburgh

Cast members and crew meet together to plan for the upcoming production on Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2022 at Ocean Lakes.

This year’s fall play is a Harry Potter parody called Puffs, or Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic and Magic. The play opens on Thursday, Nov. 17, 2022, at 7 p.m. in the OLHS Auditorium. The following dates are Friday, Nov. 18 at 7 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 19 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. and Sunday, Nov. 20 at 3 p.m.
“The audience should be aware that there are so many fantastic nods to the original world of Harry Potter. Whether a fan of the books, the movies, or both, they will find so many great gems as well as fantastic Easter eggs throughout,” said advisor Claude Blanchard. “If you’re not a Harry Potter fan, you will still find so many hysterical things throughout since it’s ultimately a comedy.”
Like in previous years, the cast will accommodate people who are sensitive to light, sound and certain words through warnings on the playbill.
“This show is different because we haven’t done a full-length comedy for a while. The last comedy we did as a fall show was Taming of the Shrew, which is a Shakespeare show. So Puffs is also different because it’s a modern show,” said senior club member Reid Rasmussen.
Sixty-three students auditioned for the play and 31 students were given roles. If students did not get a role, then they can audition for the VHSL One-Act Competition in Nov. 2022 or the Spring musical production in Jan. 2023. Students are encouraged to be a part of the crew team for the Fall play.
“I am most excited about the size of the cast, and I’m excited about it because there are a lot of talented newcomers and returning actors who will be in this show,” said senior club member Thomas Locke.
Students, staff, and family members will be able to purchase tickets in-person from one of the OLTC cast members or online at School Cash on Nov. 1 through Nov. 18. Tickets will also be sold the day of the play if there are any remaining. The price for the tickers is still to be determined.
“Anyone who is interested in joining theater should message or talk to Claude Blanchard, and ask how they can get involved. Students should also join the OLTC Canvas group and look out for future announcements regarding auditions and opportunities to join crew,” said Thomas.