Homecoming walks the red carpet once again

Girl’s cross country runners Lauren Rakov, Grace Thompson, Lindsay Meadows, Khadija Sissko and Lucy Vigeant dance the night away at Homecoming on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2022 at Ocean Lakes.

Homecoming returns as an indoor dance this year. After three years, Homecoming returned with a schoolwide indoor assembly, dance, spirit week and royals. 

“My committee began brainstorming Homecoming dance and hall decoration themes over the summer,” said senior SCA President Ruoming Shen. ‘We’re really excited that OL students voted for a red carpet dance theme and a Hollywood blockbusters hall decoration theme.” 

The theme was ‘Spotlights on You,’ based on the red carpet approach. 

“I think Homecoming is a really fun idea for everyone to be able to attend a dance,” said sophomore Olivia Cirillo, a member of the Homecoming court. “Everyone can dress up and interact with other people and make lifetime memories.”

Within the first couple of days, homecoming tickets sold out, and the dance took place in the school cafeteria on Saturday, Oct. 8, from 7-10 p.m.  Spirit week led up to a pink-out Homecoming game, where varsity football won against Princess Anne, 13-6. Spirit weekdays included hat day, dynamic duo day, monochrome day, cradles vs canes and ‘I love OL’ day. 

According to the turnout on Instagrams for both SCA and The Current, monochrome day was a new and popular favorite.

For some students, including sophomores, this was the first time they experienced homecoming court. Students voted in advisory for homecoming court royals.

“It’s actually super exciting,” said Olivia, “I’ve never done anything like [the court], but I’m glad I did.” 

Even though the hall decoration competition was postponed to Tuesday, Oct. 4, due to inclement weather from hurricane Ian, students rallied to decorate for the theme: ‘Hollywood blockbuster movies;’ therefore, freshmen  decorated their hallways based on ‘Stranger Things,’ sophomores decorated for the  ‘Avengers,’  juniors decorated for  ‘Jurassic Park,’ and seniors decorated for ‘Up.’ Seniors won the competition.