College night prepares students’ futures

Nathanial Swindle

From left: Missy Dunaway, Amanda Hansen, Chief Stephanie Williams, Enrique Rangel-Rodriquez, TeCarala Moore, Elizabeth Dugas, Carleigh Pappas Jacobs, and Yoma Miller explain the admissions process and what colleges look for in students applying.

Colleges from across Virginia and neighboring states came to Ocean Lakes on Nov. 15, 2022, to get students interested in applying. 

These colleges include Old Dominion University, Virginia Commonwealth University and Christopher Newport University.

Prior to the main session, 30 minutes were set aside for parents and students to speak one-on-one with individual college admissions officers. In the Schola, admissions officers were asked important questions about the application process and what colleges look for in potential students.

“College Nights are so important because it explains timelines and organization.  It gives students a great knowledge base on what colleges are expecting from transcripts to essays and everything in between. It is only for OL students as opposed to all of the VB students,” said counselor Dr. Susan Sigler.