Persistence, required for long-term success

Andre

Sophomore Kai England works towards his New Year’s resolution of 315 pounds on bench press by the end of 2023. Currently, he is able to bench 225, but plans to work out every day to reach 315.

“5, 4, 3, 2, 1…Happy New Year.”

The countdown, celebrated by many, brings a new year, fresh start and often resolutions.

“My New Year’s resolution is to improve my character and be more genuine,” said sophomore Tajyhia Manuel.

The ancient Babylonians created the earliest resolution, which dates back to over 4,000 years ago, according to History.com. 

They would start the new year mid-March and the people would promise the gods to return burrowed items or pay off debt. The Ancient Romans and early Christians sought forgiveness for past mistakes or misconducts from the gods.

Today, New Year’s resolutions have become modernized and more self-focused than in ancient times. Common resolutions include improved fitness, academic success or long-lasting happiness.

“In 2023, I want to eat healthier and exercise more,” said guidance counselor Bryan Everett.

Unfortunately, most New Year’s resolutions never get achieved due to lack of persistence, productivity or courage.These goals can seem unreachable or unrealistic, and people often quit altogether when they see no visible improvement. The saying, “it is easier said than done,” applies here; for example, one day at the gym won’t make somebody go from benching one plate to benching four the next day. Long-term success requires courage, persistence and time.

“Most people stop coming to the gym after the first few weeks of January,” said sophomore Kai England. “The gym is the most crowded on New Year’s Day and by the second week, only a fraction remains.”

Extra time always exists to restart if a resolution fails.

In the end, a specific plan, persistence and discipline often leads to successful resolutions, according to the Cable News Network.