Double trouble cruises through competition

David Bostick

Sophomores Afsana Rawlins and Sohalya Rawlins warm up in the pool at Great Neck Recreational Center on Feb. 8, 2022.

Sophomore swimmers Afsana Rawlins and Sohalya Rawlins create a competitive environment as they push their fellow teammates to follow in their footsteps. Showcasing their leadership at Regionals on Feb. 10, Afsana placed second in the 100m Freestyle, and Sohalya placed fourth in the 50m Freestyle.

“We show our teammates a way to support each other while competing against each other at the same time,” said Sohalya.

Afsana and Sohalya both swim for TIDE and the Ocean Lakes Swim and Dive team. The twins compete in similar events, such as the 50m free, 100m backstroke, 100m and 200m breaststroke, but according to Sohalya, her strongest event is the 50m free, unlike Afsana whose strongest event is the 100m breaststroke.

“I perform better when competing against my sister because the competitiveness pushes me to go faster and compete to my best ability,” said Afsana.

Sibling rivalry often ignites a spark within, and it’s no different with the Rawlins sisters; the rivalry motivates them to outperform the competition.

“Afsana and Sohalya have motivated me and many other swimmers on the team,” said sophomore Lucy Goodloe.

According to SwimCloud.com, Afsana is ranked first at Ocean Lakes while Sohalya is close behind her, ranked in second place. Their training schedule is key for success, eight times a week they practice with the intent of becoming the best. Along with two-morning practices each week, containing weights and running. 

“Without the constant competitiveness they provide, the team atmosphere would be different and no one can fill their shoes in the same remarkable way,” said Lucy.