Chemistry teacher joins the POD

Chemistry teacher Donald Robertson refers to the periodic table almost every day, even after class. Pictured here is Robertson after class, on Feb. 9, 2023.

Nathanial Swindle

“I’ll try not to expose y’all to anything, unless it’s positive vibes and love,” said chemistry teacher Donald Robertson.

So far, Robertson has made an impression on not only his fellow teachers, but students as well.

“He is good at making experiences memorable which makes you excited to learn or just be in his class … just the stories he tells shows that even if you don’t get it at first; if you keep trying you will always accomplish what you want,” said sophomore Rich Koehler.

From organic chemistry through analytical chemistry, Robertson knows and loves it all.

“I love crunching the numbers and trying to get the error down to zero. I love studying chemistry related to life. It is a mathematical impossibility that the simplest protein was created by chance,” said Robertson, who has experienced other careers besides teaching.

He was a lifeguard for 35 years, then a chemistry teacher at Maury High School for 17 years, and now, he is a teacher at Ocean Lakes. 

“Maury High school was a great experience. I learned that I made a difference. As a lifeguard I learned about teamwork and comradery. I learned that I was solar-powered,” said Robertson.

Even at previous schools and work environments, he has left lasting impressions on fellow teachers, whom he considers good friends.

“I found that Mr. Robertson was always a team player. He would go the extra mile to mix solutions for the other chemistry teachers to use. I found him to be a great listener and friend for both work-related and personal-related issues,” said Kempsville High School chemistry teacher Jennifer Toxey. 

It is very important to surround yourself with positive people and avoid the haters, said Robertson.

“I am super-excited to be here at Ocean Lakes High School. I am simply blown away by all of the opportunities offered to students. I am grateful to be part of this family,” said Robertson.