Brock Center captivates biology club

Kaylynn Hawkins

The Biology Club watches Rick Mittler, the Brock Center’s Virginia Student Leadership Coordinator, as he holds up a crab on the Chesapeake Bay on April 24, 2023.

On April 24, Biology Club took a trip to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.  

Students engaged in water quality testing, biotic sampling, bird watching and a tour of the Lynnhaven River by boat.

“My favorite part about being a captain is just being on the water, and everyday it’s different. The animals, water and temperature,” said Captain Ken Slazic.

The students got opportunities to go fishing for crabs and identify species from the water.

“The most memorable part of the trip for me was getting to hold a squid and a purple crab,” said sophomore Lily Bond.

The Chesapeake Bay Foundation offers leadership programs, found on CBF.org/slsummer.

Students can put in an application to take a field trip at CBF.org/apply for a chance to go out on the boats and tour the center this fall.

“I think any opportunity for people to be outside and doing hands-on learning is a really good opportunity for us to spark your curiosity and ask more questions and be creative,” said Kathleen Davis, the education engagement coordinator.