Phu favors family, short for FCCLA

Sophomore+Kayla+Phu+holds+up+a+letter+from+the+FCCLA%2C+where+she+won+a+Virginia+leadership+position+in+community+outreach.+Photo+taken+over+the+weekend+of+April+15%2C+2023.++

Karen Simmons

Sophomore Kayla Phu holds up a letter from the FCCLA, where she won a Virginia leadership position in community outreach. Photo taken over the weekend of April 15, 2023.

Kayla Phu, a sophomore, won a leadership position in the FCCLA. 

FCCLA, short for Family, Career and Community Leaders of America, works with family and consumer science classes to address societal issues and teach life skills. 

“It’s a national organization,” said Kayla. “It’s an opportunity to be a leader.” 

Kayla won a Virginia FCCLA State Officer position as Vice President of Community Outreach. In June, she receives her training and learns what duties her position includes. 

“I signed up, I’m a go-getter,” said Kayla. 

Students just need to enroll in family and consumer science classes, such as Culinary Arts or Independent Living, in order to apply to the FCCLA. Students can receive scholarships from the organization and the organization participates in competitive events that can provide industry insights and employable skills. The FCCLA holds over 50 competitive events, according to the FCCLA’s official website.

“People just need to be in a family and consumer science class to be able to apply,” said Kayla. “We’re always looking for more people to join us.”