Musical Throwback to the ’50s

Ethan Moran

Junior Wren Thomas (Danny Zuko) and Freshman Anneliese (Sandy Dumbrowski) celebrate their preformance in Grease on May 6, 2023, in the cafeteria foyer.

Ocean Lakes Theater Company proudly presented Grease at Ocean Lakes High School on May 4-7. The play was based on the 1978 movie ‘Grease’ and featured junior Wren Thomas as Danny Zuko, along with freshman Anneliese Wedertz as Sandy Dumbrowski; the two main characters of the film and play. 

“Playing Danny Zuko was a great experience, it pushed me out of my comfort zone and I met many new people. I became the new part of a family, and theater became my escape and my happy place,” said junior Wren Thomas.

OLTC and the band had been preparing for this play since they wrapped up their winter musical. Many hours of practicing scripts, notes and music all took part in this stunning display of art.

“I was so new, and I didn’t know anyone, so I was really surprised when I got the part of Sandy. Getting Sandy’s part allowed me to make my debut, and really make a name for myself in the theater group,” said freshman Annliese Wedertz.

With the musical over, OLTC will focus on brainstorming ideas for the play next year. With the leadership of Ocean Lakes Theater Company mainly graduating, actors that portrayed the lead parts of Grease will soon step up and join the leadership positions of Ocean Lakes Theater Company.

“I was unsure about playing Sonny at first because he seemed like a not interesting character, but as I got to know him more I liked the character more and ended up having a lot of fun playing his part,” said junior Jae Cook.