Thomas paves a path for future generations

Makiah Price

Tahmiah Thomas celebrates her graduation from Tidewater Community College with her mother, Tanyell Thomas and father, Frank Thomas on May 8, 2023, at the Chartway Area.

Tahmiah Thomas is the epitome of ambitious.

“When COVID struck I didn’t just want to just sit around and do nothing. So, I came up with ways to better myself and education was the first thing that came to mind,” said Thomas.

On June 16, 2023, Thomas will graduate from Ocean Lakes High School with her associates degree. In order to do so, she took 60 additional credits through Tidewater Community College.

Balancing high school coursework, extracurricular activities and college classes on a daily basis wasn’t the easiest thing in the world, but manageable with planning and time management, according to Thomas. 

“Since there wasn’t an established program in place for earning an associates degree while completing high school coursework, Tahmiah had to research and advocate for herself, showing strong self-motivation and initiative,” said English teacher, Dr. Christopher Robinson. “Hopefully other students will follow in Tahmiah’s footsteps now that she has paved the way.” 

According to her teammates, Tahmiah wasn’t only an outstanding student, but an exceptional captain of the girl’s varsity basketball team. 

“She always took leadership on and off the court, and never failed to make an executive decision for the team,” said sophomore Tiera Sellers.

Thomas believes her journey was worth it, because she is now two years ahead of her graduating class and towards her lifelong career.

“There were plenty of moments in which I second guessed my decision, due to me feeling like I was always missing out on things. However, I constantly remember this quote that I read on instagram stating, six months of consistency, can lead to five years ahead of life,” said Thomas.

Thomas adds that her parents and boyfriend have been her biggest supporters throughout the process.

“I told my parents what I wanted to do and they instantly got on the ball,” said Thomas. “I spoke it and I did, as me and my parents would say.”

Thomas plans to attend Howard University, join ROTC and apply for medical school to become an obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN) in the army.

“You do not have to be the smartest to do what I have accomplished. Having work enthusiasm and the willpower to never give up will take you far in life,” said Thomas.