USWNT performs medicore in 2023 FIFA World Cup

The+USWNT+after+a+0-0+draw+against+Portugal+on+Aug+1.+2023%2C+at+the+2023+FIFA+Womens+World+Cup.+Photo+used+with+permission+from+Kim+Price.+
The USWNT after a 0-0 draw against Portugal on Aug 1. 2023, at the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup. Photo used with permission from Kim Price.

The U.S. Women’s National Team (USWNT) entered the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup with high expectations. However, their performance in the tournament can only be described as mediocre.

While the USWNT’s journey throughout the tournament cannot be labeled as a complete failure, it is obvious that their effort and performance fell short of many expectations.

In the group stage, they struggled to find their rhythm, securing only one win against a relatively weaker opponent, Vietnam; their weaknesses were on national display. 

The midfield alone, appeared disjointed and struggled to control the tempo of matches. Along with the inability to dominate possession and create scoring opportunities to put pressure on opposing defenses.

The team’s underwhelming performance in group stage matches highlighted the team’s struggle to perform against higher level teams.

As the tournament progressed, it was obvious the USWNT’s performance lacked the spark and intensity they once had. Their forwards were predictable and had little creativity on set pieces. Their performance exposed the need for a new generation of players to step up and fill the void left by retiring veteran players.

In the Round of 16, the USWNT was eliminated by Sweden. This shocking early exit for the reigning champions was nothing short of upsetting.

As Spain was crowned the world champion, the USWNT needs to address their performance and regroup, while working towards reclaiming their position as one of the top women’s football teams in the world.