Girls volleyball brings the heat

Senior+Olivia+Box+attempts+to+swing+around+the+block+to+earn+a+kill+for+her+team+against+Cox+on+Sept.+7%2C+2023+at+Ocean+Lakes+High+School.+Photo+used+with+permission+from+Gomer+Santos.+
Senior Olivia Box attempts to swing around the block to earn a kill for her team against Cox on Sept. 7, 2023 at Ocean Lakes High School. Photo used with permission from Gomer Santos.

Girls volleyball starts the season strong, winning their first four games of the season. Led by seven seniors, they set a serious and determined tone inspiring the underclassmen to follow in their footsteps.

“I do feel very inspired by our seniors,” said sophomore Aubrey Spangoli. “All the hard work they have put into the team these past years, inspires me to work just as hard.”

Currently ranked fourth in the beach region, the girls kicked off their season strong by beating No. 7 ranked Landstown High School, on Aug. 29, with a final score of 3-0.

“This year’s girls volleyball team has one common goal: to remain positive, uplift each other and always play together. This group of girls truly enjoys being around one another,” said girls volleyball coach Christina Barnhart. “Coach Chandler and I are very excited for the remainder of the season.”

After their win against Landstown, the Dolphins beat Hickory, Salem and Kempsville, but lost to Cox, Kellam and First Colonial. However, the ladies bounced back with a win against Princess Anne and Green Run. 

“We hope to beat teams in the postseason that we have lost to in our first few games,” said senior Corinne Scott. 

On Sept. 21, at their game against Green Run, the girls played in honor of childhood cancer awareness with a gold out game. They hosted a 50/50 raffle to raise money for the non-profit organization, Pandas Fight Against Cancer. The game ended with a final score of 3-0.

“The gold out game couldn’t have gone better, we played for a great cause and there were so many smiling faces when we won,” said Aubrey. 

The Dolphin’s next game will be against Bayside at home on Sept. 26 at 6 p.m.