Scott Sonier distinguished as Teacher of the Year

Scott Sonier enjoys his time with family and friends in the Schola after receiving his award on Oct. 23, 2023. Photo used with permission from Jessica Scheible.

Scott Sonier, MSA Integrative STEM and Power and Transportation teacher, has been named 2024-2025 Teacher of the Year.

A ceremony announcing his distinction was held on Oct. 23, along with the four other teachers who were recognized as Distinguished Teachers of the Year. This annual ceremony is held in the Schola after school, where many teachers and administrators attend to extend their congratulations. 

When I learned that I was selected as the Teacher of the Year, naturally I was excited but intimidated at the same time. It’s humbling to be recognized by your peers for such an honor. Every one of the other Distinguished Educators is exceptional as well,” said Sonier. “Having my family and friends share in the presentation made the moment even better.”

Besides mentoring his students, Sonier has helped fellow staff excel in the workplace. 

“If there is one thing I have learned or taken away from Mr. Sonier, it is [that] ‘life is good’,” said electronics teacher Shane Mann. “Mr. Sonier’s like-minded thinking positively affects my attitude in the workplace, which in turn creates a more productive and cohesive department.”

Sonier has been attributed to having a constructive and encouraging teaching environment. As a result, many students look forward to attending his class daily.

“I think what sets him apart from other teachers is how practical his teaching skills are and how applicable the things he teaches are to life,” said senior Raynor Lizan. “He’s affected my life heavily, his curriculum and moral principles helped me become a better person and have stuck with me.”