New iPhone disappoints expected standards

Andrew Wu
An Apple Store at Lynnhaven Mall displays new iPhone 15 models for customers on Oct. 13, 2023.

Apple fans can be quick to upgrade their devices frequently; however, users should rethink their decision before they spend hundreds on insignificant differences.

The new iPhone was released this year on Sept. 12 at the Apple Event, which features new USB-C ports, color-infused glass and better camera qualities, with the Pro models including a new Action Button and titanium frame, according to Apple. 

Besides these new features, other components such as the Dynamic Island and Ceramic Shield, are practically unforeseen or the same as last year’s iPhone 14 models.

Aside from the minuscule details, price has also been an issue with the release of Apple products each year; the iPhone 15’s base model starts at $799 and the Pro model starts at $999. These base prices do not include an upgrade in screen size or larger storage options, which cost hundreds more. 

IPhones depreciate in value each year. 

For example, the iPhone 11 depreciated over 50% from its original value of $699 on the Apple website in 2019 to less than $300 on Amazon in 2023. Today, Apple only offers up to a $200 credit for an upgraded phone.

Oftentimes, narrators exaggerate features or emphasize specific terms in Apple’s advertisements that make it seem like it’s worth spending over $1000 on a cell phone. The company’s power of branding is so massive that consumers will pay hundreds for an upgrade that has extraneous features. 

Reports of the new iPhones show that it often overheats due to bugs with the new iOS 17, according to Forbes and discussion posts on the Apple website. These bugs cause apps and features to freeze or crash, which makes the phone run more labor-intensively, thus causing the phone to overheat and drain the battery more.

“We’re working with these app developers on fixes that are in the process of rolling out,” said Apple in response to reports.

Apple also claims that its devices have components that regulates internal temperature and assures it will not affect the phones’ battery life nor is it a safety risk, according to CNN.

Although the new iPhones have a few issues, Apple has been widely credited and is popular for its durable and high-quality performance cell phones with great features released each year. Furthermore, Apple routinely releases new iOS software updates on cell phones, which supposedly fixes bugs and glitches that occur on the previous software.

In the end, it’s not to say that Apple products diminish in quality every year; however, Apple customers should give it a second thought before they spend thousands on negligible features.