Remembering Christmas movie classics

Infographic by Sophia Ventura
Shown above is a collage created on Nov. 21, 2023, consisting of the top six Christmas movies voted upon in a poll of 100 Ocean Lakes students and staff. Individual photos from (from top left) Videocraft International, Universal Pictures, MGM/UA Entertainment Co., 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros., Walt Disney Pictures.

Watching Christmas movies during the month of December is often a family tradition. Some date back to the 1950’s, but this list of Christmas movie classics will surely bring back a few childhood memories of holly jolly times. 

One of the oldest on the list, and one of the most famous Christmas movies out there, “Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer” was produced in 1964, and directed by Larry Roemer and Nizo Nagashima. It’s a family-friendly musical that explains the story of a reindeer with an iridescent red nose and how he feels excluded because of it. 

This movie is personally my favorite of all the classic Christmas movies out there. 

Another vintage short story called, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” was based upon the 1957 Dr. Seuss book and was directed and co-produced by Chuck Jones in 1966. This American-animated television special features a Grinch who hates Christmas and refuses to socialize with the Whos down in Whoville. The Grinch dislikes Christmas so much that he decides to ruin it for everyone around him. This movie became so popular that they have created two movies since and also a musical in an attempt to remake the nostalgic original.

When I watch this movie, it always gives me a good laugh with all the creative rhyming. 

The first live-action movie on the list is “Home Alone” (1990). A snotty eight-year-old, Kevin McCallister, is accidentally left behind by his big family going on a trip to France. At first, he loved his newfound freedom, but then two burglars attempted to rob his home. However, Kevin knows how to handle the robbers and comically destroys their spirits as they try to break into his house.

In a poll of 100 students and teachers, 51.2% voted that “Home Alone” (1990) was their favorite, classic Christmas movie.  

Although “Home Alone” (1990) was the overall vote for favorite Christmas classic, my personal favorite is “Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer” (1964). 

“A Christmas Story” (1983) shows the comedic story of a young boy, Ralphie Parker, either avoiding his bully or dreaming of the Christmas present he wants most, a “Red Rider air rifle.” With a cranky dad and an optimistic mom, he tries to make his Christmas the best one yet.

I love the meaning behind this movie, and it always reminds me that being a good person affects so many other people around me. 

Another very funny Christmas movie is “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” (1989). It’s about a dad, Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase), who wanted to have the perfect, family Christmas. While keeping everything intact, his redneck cousin shows up and starts to ruin everything. On top of all of that, Clark’s job refuses to give the Christmas bonus he needed. This action-filled comedic film is sure to give a good laugh.

I personally never liked this movie as a kid, I was more into the cartoons, and I never understood the inappropriate jokes until now. 

“My whole family, parents, siblings, and extended family watch ‘National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation’ [1992] every Christmas Eve,” said English teacher assistant Stephanie Gardener. “Clark Griswold reminds me of my father because he always wants everyone to have a good Christmas but always ends up doing something stupid.” 

More on the musical side is “The Muppets Christmas Carol,” (1992) which is a spin-off of both the 1843 novel by Charles Dickens and the 1951 film directed by Brian Desmond Hurst. The infamous muppets tell the story of an old man named Ebenezer Scrooge and his disdain for Christmas. While being visited by the three spirits of Christmas: past, present and future, it changes his perspective on the meaning of Christmas.

This is a close second of my favorite classic Christmas movies, I have always loved the muppets, but Ms. Piggy always knew how to make a scene in these movies. 

Every year, my mother, sister and I watch all of these movies with the Christmas tree lighting up the room. It’s our way of staying connected during the holidays. So, during the holidays, cuddle up with a loved one and find your own favorite Christmas classic.