Girls basketball starts the season successful

Larissa Almendras
Lady Dolphins huddle in front of the bench during halftime to discuss what plays they will change as they take on the Salem Sundevils at Ocean Lakes on Nov. 30, 2023.

Girls basketball started the season prepared and eager to win. With conditioning and scrimmages, they are excited about how the season is turning out so far.

“Our team is getting better and better since last season. We all have struggles we need to work on during practice before the season starts,” said junior Tessa Verner. “The team has gotten closer throughout conditioning and is excited to see what this season’s team will bring.”

Many of these girls have been playing basketball since a very young age, and some have even played with each other in the past. 

“I’ve been playing basketball since I was six,” said junior Madeleine Fisher. “ I played with Tessa since I started, and Allison Ragudo since middle school.”

The team started basketball conditioning throughout the first few months of school to incline their skills for this upcoming season.

“Conditioning helped me get closer with some of the new players that joined the team this year,” said sophomore Jasmyn Miller.

Last season, their record ended with seven wins and 16 losses; throughout the off-season, girls basketball practiced over the summer with conditioning and attended Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) tournaments to better prepare themselves for this season’s games. 

This season, the Lady Dolphins faced the Landstown Eagles on Nov. 28, 2023, and started the season victorious. The score ended 53-44, and sophomore Samara Williams led the team with 25 points and 15 rebounds. Senior Allison Ragudo, Tessa Verner and Jasmyn Miller also managed to score against the Eagles.

Multiple players on the team have played since their freshman year. They have improved their skills over time.

“My freshman year was cut short due to COVID-19 and since then, through all the training and practice it has pushed me to become a better person and player,” said Allison Ragudo.