Music has the power to affect mental health

Sophomore+Colby+Wadington+holds+up+his+phone+to+show+the+music+he%E2%80%99s+listening+to+in+the+cafeteria+on+December+11%2C+2023.+
Erin Broderick
Sophomore Colby Wadington holds up his phone to show the music he’s listening to in the cafeteria on December 11, 2023.

“I don’t want the world to see me, ‘cause I don’t think that they’d understand,” said John Rzeznik in “Iris.”

Most people know that songs can uplift someone, but what most people forget is that some melancholy songs can help to process negative emotions.

Take the song “Iris” for example, because it’s a song about loneliness, it helps people to realize that they are not alone.

Sophomores Layla Simpson, Yeliane Dones and Amya Stroman believe that Mitski songs such as “Real Men” and “Pink in the Night” are so relatable despite their heavy lyrics. 

However, some studies show that listening to slow or negative music while already in a bad mindset can lead to a worsened overall mood and can negatively affect an individual’s mental health long term.

Although it is unlikely for a troubled person to choose an upbeat song, it can greatly improve a person’s mood or overall mental health in the long run. 

Even though this information has been gathered through studies, it is not a guarantee that specific types of music will make every listener feel a specific way. 

The best way to understand what kind of music will improve mental health is to pay attention to the feelings that different songs can create. For instance, more soft songs such as “Moonlight on the River” by Mac DeMarco may create feelings of relaxation, while more upbeat songs may create feelings of happiness. 

When feeling upset, instead of running to music that may be conveyed as more comforting, listeners should try to opt for more upbeat music to see how their mood is positively affected.