The act of communication wavers for younger generations

Nitza Lawler
Forensic team prepares for regionals during One Lunch on Jan. 18, 2024. Isabella Ragasa practices her speech with fellow members, Sophia Tanenggee, Arjun Padiyar, and Sarah Kosovsky.

Communication skills proceed to falter in this day and age. People struggle with speaking and need to learn how to improve but do not know how.

“One way to be a better communicator is to listen. I think people are nervous to communicate with other people because they are afraid of what other people might think,” said public speaking teacher Kimberly Bedinger.

Being observant amplifies a conversation, especially with body language. Showing care for what a person says, gives them a confidence boost in their speaking.

“I wish that people would learn to trust themselves [and believe] that they can do a good job getting their point across and won’t be judged,” said Bedinger.

Eye contact keeps a person’s attention, creating a bond between the speaker and the listener. Looking down shows disinterest in the conversation. 

“Maintaining acknowledgment of a conversation is a very subtle maneuver, but it works wonders. It’s like a partnership where all members have to be engaged for effectiveness,” said freshman JanThomas Reyes.

Having a phone serves as a distractor, and can steal a speaker’s attention in a millisecond. 

“If you just communicate, you can get by, but if you communicate skillfully, you can work miracles,” said author, entrepreneur and public speaker Jim Rohn.

Conversations in front of a mirror will help, especially for interviews. Ask a friend or family member to listen in order to get used to being under pressure.

“[Every time] I think of tips to speak clearly to other people, I go back to listening and taking time to compose your thoughts before you speak them,” said Bedinger.

Text messages, emails, and phone calls eliminate the need for face-to-face conversations, hindering social skills’ practice and development.

“[People have weaker communication skills] because of electronics, people are more focused on it,” said sophomore Terra Farnsworth.