Embracing the benefits of multilingualism

The image depicts many unique languages of the world on the language tree. (Minna Sundberg – Language Tree/ Tom Wigley/ Flickr/ CC BY-NC_SA 2.0).

Learning a new language is the best way to open up to new experiences and promote personal growth. 

New languages can take relationships to another level by helping people connect more easily with others who do not speak their language. 

Other benefits include understanding different cultures and effectively participating in a multi-cultural society. This can make traveling more fun for tourists because they can better understand and learn about the culture.

Multilingual students often exhibit an open, expanded worldview,” said English teacher Thomas Stewart.

Knowing multiple languages also serves as a benefit when getting a new job. Speaking different languages has become an imperative skill in the job market. Job recruiters, for example, need to know many different languages to communicate with clients who come from all over the world.

According to an analysis by Preply, an online language learning platform, 40% of multilingual employees said language skills helped them land a job and earned 19% more than single-language speakers.

This shows how advanced speaking skills can make an employer want to hire people for higher paying jobs. It makes sense that many companies want people who can speak multiple languages, so they can help boost the companies’ profits.

When people learn new languages, it comes with many benefits, so it would be an unwise decision to not learn a new language. Students specifically, are offered foreign language classes in school and they can explore online language learning platforms, such as Duolingo and Babble. It would be a disservice to oneself not to take advantage of these free opportunities.