Theaters give their “one love” for Marley

Larissa Almendras
Regal Theater in Strawbridge Marketplace shows Bob Marley: One Love on Feb. 24, 2024

On Feb. 15, 2024, the Current visited the theaters to see “Bob Marley: One Love,” directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green as way to celebrate Black History Month.

The movie highlights Marley while he makes “Exodus” in 1977. Along with the making of a new album, it shines a light on how he handled the political conflict going on in his home country Jamaica. 

Marley’s mission was to bring peace to all and bring people together with his music. However, some people did not like his initiatives.

On Dec. 3, 1976, seven gunmen invaded Marley’s house while he and his band were rehearsing for an upcoming concert. 

“At the moment when the gunmen broke in, we were rehearsing, ‘I Shot The Sherriff,’” said eyewitness Tyrone Downie. 

The bullet aimed for Marley’s chest, however. it hit his arm as his manager, Don Taylor, pulled him down. Taylor was shot five different times, according to americansongwriter.com.

In the movie, the producers and directors made it clear to the audience that despite these setbacks, Marley had a passion for using his platform to shine a light on the issues of peace and political violence, poverty and racism.

“For the reggae icon, it wasn’t just about ending the killings; it was about building a better Jamaica,” said Brian Meeks in The Tribune.

The movie reveals what Marley tried to do, using the power of music. Many of his songs have different meanings; some of his songs are about love while others are about peace and justice. “War,” “Get Up Stand Up” and “Place of Peace” are just a few examples.

Most of the journalism class agreed that actor Kingsley Ben-Adir, who played Bob Marley, was a fit. A few criticized the producer’s ability to keep the dialogue clear. With such a powerful script, viewers hoped to catch every word.

One Love received a 92% audience score, according to rottentomatoes.com.