Women who dare to dream

Infographic created by Natalie Ritz
A collage features Dr. Florence Sabin, Mia Hamm and Amalie Emmy Noether.

Some may joke that women should get back to the kitchen, but their influence on society has left an impact much greater than making a sandwich.

International Women’s Day on March 8, 2024, celebrates women in the fields of math, science, English and sports who have made significant strides to provide others with the opportunity to follow their dreams. 

Take the German mathematician Amalie Emmy Noether, for example. 

A girl whose dream was to work within the halls of a great university and teach the brightest minds in Europe, only to be met with this dream, but without pay or recognition. However, her perseverance created one of the most important math theorems, Noether’s Theorem in 1915, according to Britannica.com. 

“Noether was the most significant, creative mathematical genius thus far produced since the higher education of women began,” said renowned scientist Albert Einstein.

Another woman who has spearheaded research and paved the way for many researchers is Dr. Florence Sabin, who graduated from Johns Hopkins University and became the first female professor there, according to the National Institutes of Health. She published two textbooks about her research on babies’ lymphatic and nervous systems. Due to her many years of experience, the governor of Denver, Dr. Sabin’s hometown, appointed her as a member of his new health committee. She continued to serve her community until retirement. 

In the sports industry, Mia Hamm was very influential in promoting women’s soccer. Hamm was a founding player on the first-ever national women’s soccer team in 2001, introducing women’s soccer to television. She participated in three Olympic games and four FIFA World Cups. Her name forever resides in the Women’s Soccer Hall of Fame, according to the NC Soccer Hall of Fame. Hamm’s legacy instilled confidence in women’s athletics and gave many people the courage to strive for greatness. 

A current example of female accomplishment is freshman Ava Kruciak. She was not afraid to pursue her SCUBA certification at the Lynnhaven Dive Center, preparing her to reach for her dream of exploring marine life. Ava said, “It was one of the greatest experiences I have ever had and it is going to make such a difference in the future, with my career path plans.”

To celebrate International Women’s Day, 12 female students will present their senior academy projects in the schola. 

Let these important figures serve as a reminder that you are in control of your story. Do not let anyone else define that.