Student fundraises for expensive medication using art

A collection of student art submissions rests on a table for the Actions Through Art fundraiser on March 29, 2024. The fundraiser will raise funds to supply the underprivileged with necessary dermatology medication. Photo used with permission from Urvi Jain.

During junior Urvi Jain’s summer dermatology shadowing, she was dumbfounded by the overwhelming cost of medication for underprivileged patients.

“Seeing that these patients couldn’t afford the medications they needed to get better truly made me feel for them and made me want to make a change, and that inspired me to start Actions Through Art,” said Urvi. 

The Actions Through Art fundraiser sells art to help pay for expensive medication. 

Students can submit their artwork to the fundraiser in art teachers Lindsay Roberts and Abby Sullivan’s rooms, 107 and 105.

“All donations go towards funding the creation and distribution of packages of medications that are usually very expensive,” said Urvi.

She also has a GoFundMe that accepts cash donations to the fundraiser, which is not based on art sales. 

“I think art can help people notice a cause more,” said freshman Zachary Song.

The fundraiser will continue throughout the whole summer. 

“Art is widely appreciated and recognized on a large scale, but much of that appreciation doesn’t lead to any change,” said Urvi.  “I truly believe art can make a difference because art is something that people can connect to on a personal and emotional level.”

Urvi, an artist herself, wants to turn her passion into real change.

“I mainly make paintings of people and animals. My recent focus involves acrylic-based paintings with minimalistic touches,” said Urvi.