Cross-training helps athletes maximize their potential

Brady Smith catches a lofted pass from Drew Davidson on Feb. 2, 2024, at the First Colonial football field. Brady’s training with track helped him use his speed and agility to get open on this rep. 
Photo used with permission from Justin Smith.
Brady Smith catches a lofted pass from Drew Davidson on Feb. 2, 2024, at the First Colonial football field. Brady’s training with track helped him use his speed and agility to get open on this rep. Photo used with permission from Justin Smith.

Cross-training is a longtime workout regime that has grown in popularity recently.

In short, cross-training is the training of more than one skill. Athletes can use this to their advantage in many ways. They can benefit from the versatility and exercise they acquire from cross-training. 

It can be another way to improve technique, speed or any other important aspect involved in their sport. For example, track has helped football players become quicker and improve their stamina.

Sophomore, Brady Smith, runs track to improve his football skills.

“Track has helped me play football by working on speed and agility,” said Brady. “Now, I am faster and move better than some other athletes.”

Cross-training helps athletes around the world at all different skill levels. 

Jayden Ntonga-Yomsi, a sophomore basketball player, works in multiple sports. He credits playing football and soccer for helping his basketball ability.

“As someone who has put time into multiple sports like soccer and football, these experiences have helped me improve my abilities on the court,” said Jayden. “The skills I have developed like quick reflexes and moving quickly are all skills I use on the basketball court.” 

Many athletes cross-train to help out their abilities in the NFL.

Tom Brady, widely regarded as the “Greatest of All Time” in football, was drafted into the MLB before he played in the NFL. Other quarterbacks such as Patrick Mahomes and Russel Wilson were also drafted into the MLB. 

Practicing baseball helped these quarterbacks improve their football skills, as shown when Mahomes performed his trademark side-arm throw. A move many believe he learned from baseball.

According to Mahomes himself and the Netflix show “Quarterback,” playing baseball helped shape his side-arm off-platform throws. On that same show, his trainer Booby Stroupe talked about how Mahomes’ body has so much mobility it helps him make every throw he does.

Track has also helped freshman Van Helgrem improve his ability to play soccer. He’s ran since the 7th grade and credits it as one of the best things that has happened to his speed and acceleration.

“Track helped me with soccer because it kept me in shape and made me faster,” said Van.