Security guard awarded assistant of the year award

Security+guard%2C+Dave+Brechtel%2C+wins+the+2024+assistant+of+the+year+award+at+the+spring+sports+assembly+on+March+29%2C+2024.+The+finalists+for+the+award+were+eight+Ocean+Lakes+staff+members%3A+Dave+Brechtel%2C+Shella+Everett%2C+Tammy+Gravier%2C+Elizabeth+Guidry%2C+Amy+Lucas%2C+Barry+Mitchell%2C+Jay+Seacrist+and+Crystal+Wright.+
Khadija Sissoko
Security guard, Dave Brechtel, wins the 2024 assistant of the year award at the spring sports assembly on March 29, 2024. The finalists for the award were eight Ocean Lakes staff members: Dave Brechtel, Shella Everett, Tammy Gravier, Elizabeth Guidry, Amy Lucas, Barry Mitchell, Jay Seacrist and Crystal Wright.

A beloved security guard earns the title of the 2024 assistant of the year. 

David Brechtel, considered among seven other candidates, was nominated by various staff members to win the award, and he was the lone victor. 

This particular security guard is known around the school for his kindness. He has become the popular face at the front desk where he signs students in and out, helps parents sign for their kids and monitors the hallway cameras to help keep students safe. Additionally, he chaperones voluntarily and drives the bus for many sports teams, such as baseball, wrestling, swim, softball, field hockey, basketball, lacrosse and volleyball.

He has also assists driving for orchestra, band and chorus.

“I drive sometimes every day, Monday through Friday, during a season, and sometimes take as many as three teams in one day,” said Brechtel.

He wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I love my job. I love the staff, and most of all, I love the kids,” said Brechtel. “It’s the most fun and rewarding job I’ve ever had, I would almost do it even if I didn’t get paid.”

Before he became an Ocean Lakes favorite, he served in the Chesapeake Police Department for 28 years before retiring in 2013. After a five-year break, he decided to get back to the working world. In spring of 2018, he was encouraged to substitute in the school system, and it’s where he found a niche- as a security guard. He eventually earned a full-time job in 2019 as the security guard everyone recognizes today. 

“The police department taught me not to trust kids. Many of them lied to me in many scenarios, so it’s easy to think that all kids are bad,” said Brechtel. “However, Ocean Lakes gave me another perspective; the kids here are good kids, and they’re the reason I come to work everyday.”

According to Brechtel, kids can teach adults a thing or two.

“Those kids who wrongly accused others and took advantage of the police department scared the heck out of me, and I never thought I would even risk working with kids again,” said Brechtel. “But it was refreshing to come here and see how awesome kids could be. I needed that.”

In the future, he plans to stay for another 10 years or until he becomes a grandfather.