Former “Dance Moms” star turns failed pop singer

Former “Dance Moms” star Jojo Siwa showcases her excitement. Siwa was formerly known for wearing colorful clothing and bright bows. (Christopher Polk/Variety/Shutterstock)

If wearing rainbow bows and rainbow clothes makes a “bad” girl, then Jojo Siwa is one. 

Siwa first rose to fame at nine years old on the reality television series, “Dance Moms.” She then transferred her persona to TikTok, gaining more than 45 million followers. 

Growing up in the spotlight, Siwa initially gained followers through her traditional youthful persona. This persona consisted of rainbows, bows and high ponytails. Everything she did, said and stood for was very childish, but in recent months Siwa has made some questionable changes to her image.

“No one has ever made this drastic of a change,” said Siwa in a recent interview with Billboard.

Unfortunately, Siwa is completely wrong. As children grow in the spotlight, numerous actors, celebrities and influencers change their image from childish to more adult-like. 

The worst part is the arrogant tone she presents her rebrand with. She is not the first, nor the last child star to shift their persona and it is enraging that she paints herself in this way.

As Siwa announced her rebrand, she also began promoting her new single “Karma,” which was originally written for Miley Cyrus. 

Since its release, Siwa has faced only backlash, and the choreography has been the main topic of discussion. Many know Siwa as a former dancer, but her performance in the music video suggests otherwise. The choreography is not bad, and Siwa is not a bad dancer, but her movements are sloppy and sporadic, presenting herself as not put together. This new style of dance represents her new brand, according to Siwa.

“I was a bad girl; I did some bad things,” said Jojo Siwa, in her new comical hit song “Karma.”

She is not a bad girl. She did not do any bad things. She is just a millionaire who had a negative rebrand. That is it.

In 2020, Siwa sold over 80 million bows with prices ranging from $5 to $16 per bow; she generated $400 million in bow sales alone, according to forbes.com. 

Despite the money and success that grew with her previous persona, she still chose this unnecessary and drastic change in her platform. Siwa must figure out a better way to present herself or she will fall out of the spotlight embarrassingly.