Celebrating National Physical Fitness and Sports Month

Jade McAboy
The boys varsity soccer team gather in a huddle moments before they faced Deep Creek High School at Ocean Lakes High School on March 25, 2024. Ocean lakes won the game after defeating Deep Creek with a score of 7-1.

National Physical Fitness and Sports Month (NPFSM) has been celebrated every May since 1983.

“Physical health is important because it can help build skills, improve your health and reduce diseases,” said junior and varsity soccer player Mason Howlin. “I participate in physical health by playing soccer as a sport and working out.”

NPFSM is an initiative created by the President’s Council on fitness, sports and nutrition, according to the National Institutes of Health. Each president since 1983 has proclaimed May as NPFSM to affirm the importance of physical activity.

“I think physical health is important because it keeps one mobile,” said junior Jaxon Vizzi. 

Getting physically fit can help reduce feelings of anxiety, improve sleep quality, boost self-esteem, foster a sense of belonging and create social connections, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.

“Physical health plays a big role in mental health,” said Jaxon. “When one is constantly moving or learning a new sport, it gives them a purpose and helps create new goals.”

NPFSM can be celebrated by all ages, in many different ways. This ranges from simply taking a walk to training for a marathon.

“Every May, we revisit the physical fitness standards by having students complete their post-fitness tests. The tests include the back saver, trunk lift, pacer/mile, curl-ups and push-ups,” said physical education teacher and girls soccer coach Christine Thornton. “It’s great to see how much improvement the students gain in all the fitness components by being more active throughout the course.”

Overall, physical fitness and sport participation can lead to many benefits within one’s life, impacting the lives of many through its physical and mental benefits.

“Being physically fit has increased my confidence,” said Jaxon. “It has also helped me build discipline, which is a skill I can apply to any realm of life.”