AVID hosts ‘dinner and a show’ for Sullivan House residents

Hours of preparation lead to an evening of thankfulness

AVID+students+share+a+meal++together+with+Sullivan+House+residents.+

Michelle McAfee

AVID students share a meal together with Sullivan House residents.

Back in late November, AVID students hosted a dinner and a show for Sullivan House, a retirement home for the elderly. Students prepared a baked ziti dinner for the residents and then escorted them back to watch the theatre company’s Pride and Prejudice. The event was organized by science teacher Brian Alexander and AVID teacher Michelle McAfee, along with the help of other faculty, including the theatre director Claude Blanchard. 

According to junior AVID student Emma Hicks, they served baked ziti, brownies and other foods orchestrated by Alexander and other AVID students. They also helped make decorations for the dinner, making sure they created the right environment for their honored guests.

“It was something nice to do, to help out in the community,” said Emma.

Charles Warthen, a resident at the Sullivan House, celebrated his 84th birthday the night of the dinner and said he thoroughly enjoyed the play and spending time with the students. He also mentioned that this is not something they get to do often.

“The play, a real challenge, was a rare treat, “ said Warthen. “Our group of nine are, as you see, a special population. We are all seniors, 62 and older, on limited income, many of whom hesitate to go out at night.”

Warthen and the other senior citizens felt thankful for evening and for the students and staff who organized the event.

“Thanks for thinking of us and for your cordial welcoming of us to the school,” said Warthen.