Ocean Lakes Scholastic Bowl excels at National Championship Tournament

Ocean Lakes’ Scholastic Bowl team wins 65th place in the 2024 High School National Championship Tournament held May 25, 2024, in Atlanta, GA. From back (left to right): Clark Smith, Samuel Kidd, Austin Mao, Meilin Ranjan and Cole Graninger. From the front (left to right): Jackson Crickard, Kaushik Tatta, Rockwell Li, Frankie Graninger and Miranda Blaser. Photo used with permission by David Smith.
David Smith

Ocean Lakes’ Scholastic Bowl team traveled to Atlanta, Ga., on May 25, 2024, to partake in the High School National Championship Tournament.

Team members consist of captains Jackson Crickcard and Meilin Ranjan, who were accompanied by Cole Graninger, Frankie Graninger, Samuel Kidd, Rockwell Li, Austin Mao, Clark Smith and Kaushik Tatta, along with their coach, Miranda Blaser.

They joined 319 of the top high school quiz bowl teams to compete in the bowl. 

A quiz bowl is an academic activity for students; they press a buzzer to answer questions about specific subjects. The main skills needed to participate in a quiz bowl are collaboration, communication and good thinking tactics. Participating in this interscholastic activity helps students receive intellectual lessons and use what they have learned from the classroom in the tournament.

During the tournament, Ocean Lakes experienced some losses, but they bounced back up when they defeated Carbondale from Illinois during round 21, when suddenly, they lost to Canyon Crest A from San Diego, California. 

They finished in 65th place.

“I think the team made it this far because they work hard and work well together. They dedicate time to reviewing topics they are not strong on and dedicate to practicing speed and accuracy of answers. The team works well to make sure we play to players’ strengths, and they build each other up when needed. They’ve become a family in the best way, and I could not be prouder of how well they have done. The best ingredient is that they don’t let this get to their heads. They are already planning how to improve and keep going strong next year,” said Blaser.