Injuries with ice skating can be prevented

Some winter sports have hidden risks, take precaution

Injuries often occur with the popular winter sport, ice skating. In a recent school survey, 13 out of 27 students have ice skated in the last two years, but some forget the dangers involved.

“I often don’t think about serious injuries,” said sophomore Kianna Butts. “I think about falling on my butt and looking like an idiot.”

According to Rothman Institute’s website, there are five key skating injury risks. Those being lacerations, head injuries, ACL tears, ankle sprains or fractures, and wrist or hand injuries.

Injuries on the ice can be prevented by being aware of all the risks and staying cautious when skating.

The winter-time sport attracts people of all ages and abilities on the rink. Sharing the ice with the public can be hard when skaters don’t look where they are going or fall or block the path for others around them.

“My friend slipped in front of me, which caused me to slip and hit my head on the barrier,” said freshman Marilisa Resto.

Before participating in any activity that may be dangerous, students should follow the suggested safety measures. For example, the National Safety Council advises skaters to wear skates that provide a good amount of ankle support, always wear warm clothing, have blades professionally sharpened before a session, skate with a partner, and check for debris, cracks, or holes.

Being safe and aware is a better alternative than paying the price of an injury.

“I’d rather spend 50 minutes going over safety tips, than injuring myself or others,“ said chemistry teacher Madison Davis.