Rising sophomore baseball player verbally commits to Virginia Tech

Rising+sophomore+Carson+DeMartini+visits+Virginia+Tech+after+verbally+committing+to+play+baseball+at+the+Division+I+college.+

Wendy DeMartini

Rising sophomore Carson DeMartini visits Virginia Tech after verbally committing to play baseball at the Division I college.

Carson DeMartini verbally committed to Virginia Tech earlier this summer. The rising sophomore batted leadoff and played second base/shortstop for the varsity baseball team last season as a freshman. According to Prep Baseball Report, he is ranked fifth in Virginia for the class of 2021.   

“I think my play on the field for Ocean Lakes helped, we made a recruiting video that we sent to them (Virginia Tech). Then they came out to watch me play showcase tournaments this summer,” said Carson.

He also attracted interest from other Division I colleges in Virginia.

“I had interest from other small schools in Virginia such as Old Dominion University and James Madison University,” said Carson.

Carson hopes to play professional baseball one day and hopes playing at Virginia Tech can help make that happen.

“Getting drafted out of high school is a very big deal and not many players can accomplish that. But I feel like if I continue on the track that I am on it is very possible to get drafted out of high school. But that only happens if I work my butt off from now until senior year. If I’m not drafted out of high school then Virginia Tech is a great place to play baseball and I will try to get drafted from there,” said Carson.

The Virginia Tech commit is equally skilled on the diamond and in the classroom. He is a member of the Math and Science Academy and boasts a 4.00 GPA.   

“I think that my academic standing helped me a ton showing them (Virginia Tech) that I have the right mindset that will help me succeed not only in the classroom but on the baseball field,” said Carson.   

If baseball doesn’t work out in the long run, Carson does have another plan.

“I have a pretty good idea on what I want to be and that is to be a doctor. First I would like to be drafted and play professional baseball but if that doesn’t work out then the idea of being a doctor sparks my interests. So I would have to study medicine to accomplish that,” said Carson.