Astrology, yet to be proven reliable

Back to Article
Back to Article

Astrology, yet to be proven reliable

Junior Jaelese Peavy reads through dailly horoscope app during her free period on Oct. 10.

Meilani Bitanga

Meilani Bitanga

Meilani Bitanga

Meilani Bitanga, Staff Writer

Whether or not astrology is reliable has been an overarching question for some time. Astrology is the ancient study of the stars, planets, compatibility, horoscopes, and zodiacs, but most of realize that this study generally serves to entertain.

According to Academia.edu, a test was done on 50 participants to see who could get their zodiac sign right on the first try. Out of 50, only five got their correct sign, 17 got a wrong one, and the remaining received inconclusive results because they belonged to more than one sign.

Researchers came to the conclusion that this test showcased similarities to the Barnum Effect; people accept anything they perceive is tailored just for them. They spend hours looking at horoscopes to find direction or simply to find an excuse for unwanted behaviors. 

According to a millennial study on the Independent website, astrology gives people an excuse for their less than positive traits or actions – “It’s not my fault I’m bad at decision-making, it’s just because I’m a Libra,” someone might say.

No matter what the reason, people still like to learn, or in this case, teach astronomy.

“As the teacher of astronomy, my beliefs are not bound in the stars,” said astronomy teacher Michelle Bailey-Hennessey. “To the ancient people, they believed that the position of celestial objects influenced their daily lives; they didn’t know what stars were or what any of the other celestial objects were. Today, we have a much better understanding of why the sky changes and what stars really are.”

According to West Texas A&M University, the Placebo Effect is the reason why people feel better after getting their daily dose of horoscope reading.

“Astrology is a religious belief based on the position of celestial objects over 6000 years ago,” said Bailey-Hennessey. “Today, those celestial objects have shifted because of precession- the wobble of the Earth on its axis.”

Astrology may be entertaining and addictive in the moment, but there is no concrete evidence to support the validity of astrological ideas.

“It’s your choice if you want to believe in astrology or not,” said junior Aidan Berens. “If it makes you feel better about life, great. If you despise everything about it, don’t read it.”

Meilani Bitanga, Staff Writer

Meilani Bitanga, a member of the class of 2020, is a second year staff writer who serves as copy editor and photo editor. She adores Harry Styles and enjoys...