Hulu vs. Netflix: Streaming Service Smackdown

Back to Article
Back to Article

The percentages above represent the results from a poll taken out of 100 students on which streaming site they prefer.

Jordan Latter and Makenna Miller, Entertainment Editors

In a battle between two streaming websites, only one can come out on top. Read the articles below to find out which of these streaming sites really packs a punch.

Netflix

Netflix started out as a DVD mail service in 1997, since then the program grew into the widely known streaming service that it is today. Netflix remains the top tool for binging multiple shows and movies.

The best part of Netflix definitely revolves around the elimination of ads, so people can binge their favorite show and not have to worry about annoying advertisement interruptions that Hulu contains.

Another user-friendly feature that Netflix has to offer is a button that allows people to skip through long series introductions that repeat every episode.

Netflix Roulette is a feature not many people know about which helps viewers decide what series they would be interested in or a movie they would be in the mood for. All people have to do is look up Netflix roulette in google and the first link is the website.

Due to the many Netflix originals, all the genres contain a colorful amount of choices to pick from. Netflix continues to skyrocket due to its popular series of Stranger Things, Orange is the New Black and even creative new Marvel series like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and so much more.

Netflix currently offers three different membership plans: Basic, Standard, and Premium. The Basic plan is $7.99 a month and allows viewers to watch in standard definition on one screen. At $10.99 a month, the Standard plan allows high-definition viewing on two screens. The Premium plan allows subscribers to watch on four screens a time, in high definition or ultra-high definition for $13.99 a month.

Hulu

After launching in 2007, Hulu quickly caught up to other competitors with features similar to live TV, better originals, multiple payment plans, and recent show updates that other streamers can’t compare to.

Although Netflix continues to churn out original television shows, they are not as critically acclaimed as Hulu’s. In 2017, Hulu won the first ever Best Drama Emmy award given to a streamer for The Handmaid’s Tale, a Hulu original.

Hulu easily surpasses Netflix with their live TV feature, giving the option of roughly 60 channels like FX, CNN, Food Network, MSNBC, Fox News, and other local channels that are accessible by typing in zip codes.

Sports fans are also represented with a plethora of channels from ESPN, Big Ten Network, SEC Network, and even NBC’s golf channel. All these channels come with the Live TV plan for $40 a month, along with free access to Hulu’s on-demand catalog that is $7.99 a month.

Hulu offers two other membership plans: no commercials and limited commercials. The limited commercials plan, which happens to be the most popular, is $7.99 a month and allows access to a digital library with few commercial interruptions.

The No Commercials plan costs $11.99 a month and allows the viewer to watch anything in their digital library without commercials.

According to Techcrunch, Hulu has more than 20 million subscribers. Although it’s nowhere near the 117.6 million Netflix subscribers, they make up for it with alternative features that easily surpass Netflix’s popularity amongst streamers everywhere.

Overall, Hulu is not held back by Netflix’s overwhelming popularity and are quickly rising up with better features, Live TV and different membership options for their subscribers.