VBCPS implements new Virtual Learning Day to bank days for inclement weather

Next Virtual Learning Day, Jan. 28

Logan Davis

Sophomore Nickolas Cunningham completing his B-Day Virtual Day assignment in room 202. Photo Credit: Logan Davis Taken on November 21

To account for days that students may miss this year, VBCPS has implemented the new Virtual Learning Day to save days for later in the year.

“In an effort to expand students’ academic experiences inside and outside of the classroom and to help bank instructional time to use in cases of school cancellations due to weather conditions VBCPS will implement two Virtual Learning Days in the 2018-2019 school year,” said VBCPS Director of Communication Lauren Nolasco.

Virtual learning day, the newest type of makeup day, has been used twice this year, and teachers have differing views.

“I like the idea of banking days, so we don’t have to come in on Saturday or have extra time [added to the school day],” said history teacher Ashley Fitzpatrick.

Although many students completed the virtual day assignment, some did not.  Fitzpatrick said that approximately 80% of her juniors completed the assignment, but only 15% of her freshmen completed the assignment.  

“Virtual Learning Day is a waste, and I’d prefer having a half day, or making the day up, rather than working at home,” said sophomore Nickolas Cunningham.

Business teacher Beth Hubbard said that 67% of her students did the assignment, but she was not happy with the type assignment she had to give.

“I’m glad we don’t have to make up the day up; however, I can’t give an assignment that is current or essential for class because we have to give students 10 days to do it,” said Hubbard.

Hubbard also said that she thinks the 10-day gap is too long, and students only need one day to complete an assignment.

“I think the virtual day(s) have merit – albeit new, so there are some “kinks” to work out, but it gives students and teachers the opportunity to utilize the technology the division sets forth (Schoology), and it gives students a chance to get a feel for ‘online and virtual’ classes, which might be the future of education and learning,” said assistant principal James Imbriale.