Presidents set the standard for American freedoms

Quote on freedom from Abraham Lincoln. Courtesy of www.allauthor.com

As the celebration of President’s Day comes to an end in February, one might have stopped to ponder what freedoms Americans enjoy most. With March as the month of luck, it can be important to identify American privileges other countries lack.

“Freedom is one of the most important aspects that America was built on,” said freshman Avey Sanson.

President’s Day serves as an observation in order to celebrate two of the most important men in U.S. history: George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. Washington fought for America’s independence from Great Britain and led the Constitutional Convention: the group of delegates that wrote the Constitution and outlined the basic freedoms of Americans in the Bill of Rights. Lincoln fought for the preservation of the Union during the Civil War, as well as wrote the Emancipation Proclamation, which brought slavery in the U.S. to an end.

These two men understood the freedoms Americans deserved and fought for them.

Several students today recognize that freedom is an important foundation of the country.

“I value all my freedoms and rights I have as an American citizen,” said junior Rishi Patel. “The fact that I am born with these rights is a blessing that others [born in a different country] may not have.”

Several students identify freedom of speech as the most important.

“I debate various ethical and political topics. Without freedom of speech and press, we would have no investigative journalists or activists,” said junior Isabel Motil. “We can say what we want without fear of death or punishment.”

Some value their freedom of religion the most.

“The freedom I hold most dear is religious freedom,” said Avey. “I wouldn’t be me if it wasn’t for religious freedom. I spent Passover with my neighbors and celebrated Samhain with close friends. After all, religion is one of the building blocks of America.”

Others appreciate freedoms not explicitly outlined in the Bill of Rights.

“I most value my freedom to choose my own career path and interests … it allows me to pick classes that interest and help me,” said sophomore Tabitha Moore. “It is important for me to pick a career that I can excel at.”

Although most students recognize their freedoms, one values their opportunities as an American in general.

“The most precious freedom is the freedom of opportunities,” said one student. “We are able to become someone better, someone more educated, someone who can change the world. Just having the chance to be something is enough.”